Monday, April 16, 2012

Music Monday: City and Colour

I'm sitting here watching The Voice, which is basically all I watch now that I don't have One Tree Hill, but that's beside the point. I said this because I was super tempted to change my Music Monday selection to Maroon 5 after the performance they just gave. Seriously, go buy "Payphone" right now. Oh, and ignore the profanity. It's a good song. But I'm not changing the band I chose because I already have Maroon 5 on the schedule (yeah, I have things planned out). So, to the real Music Monday artist: City and Colour.

I first heard of City and Colour when I was a sophomore (maybe a junior) in high school. My cousin, Abigail, made me a mix CD (Fun Fact: One of the keys to my heart is a rad mix CD. There are many keyholes in my heart, but if you can make a killer mix, you might just unlock one of them) and "The Girl" was one of the songs on it. It was probably my favorite song on the mix, but I didn't really check out the rest of their stuff for another year, and then I beat myself up for not doing it sooner.

Now, if you know who "they" are, don't freak out on me and say that "it isn't a band, it's a person!" I know this. Blah blah blah. Dallas Green, the guy behind the vocals and instrumentation in the studio, is really the only thing you hear on the actual albums. But live, he obviously has a band. It'd be super difficult, but super awesome, if he could, but he can't, so live, City and Colour is a band. Cool story about the name though - Dallas didn't want to release an album as "Dallas Green" because he didn't want to be arrogant, so he took advantage of the fact that his name is a City (Dallas) and a Colour (Green - the English spelling of colour comes from the fact that he's from Canada and knows how to spell things the way they should be). So, yes, I know he records everything alone, but City and Colour is still technically a band. Just like Owl City.

So, right now, there are three full-length City and Colour albums and a ton of EP recordings: Sometimes, Bring Me Your Love and Little Hell. Each of them are wonderful and each capture the signature sound that makes City and Colour so good. Personally, I'm a big fan of Bring Me Your Love, but their newest one is almost tied with it. But who am I kidding? All three of them are awesome. I'd kill to see them live. Someday.

Anyway, I hope you check 'em out if you haven't already heard of them. If you hate them, sorry. But that's your fault. Because they're incredible.




Songs to check out:
The Girl (Bring Me Your Love)
Sorrowing Man (Little Hell)



Happy Listening!
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment