What Am I Doing With My Life?
That title makes this section seem ridiculously more dramatic than it is. Don't worry, I'm not that dramatic. I just haven't posted anything since December, and that didn't really update you on my life. That's not very recent. So let's see.I'm almost finished with my first year of college, which didn't hit me until this week. My sister is graduating from high school in a little over a month and it's hard for me to believe that was only a year ago for me, but at the same time, it feels like it was just yesterday. It's truly amazing how fast time goes by when you "grow up." So, with that said, I'm making my way through college and so far, I'm on track to graduate in just four years, which is incredible and crazy all at the same time. I guess it's actually three years now. Which means in three years, if things keep going the way they are now, I will be in the "real" world with a real job. What? Am I an adult now?
One of my favorite things about being my age is that I have so many friends who are getting married and having babies. I absolutely love weddings and I love babies. Even though I am nowhere near marriage or children at this time in my life, I'm loving that I have friends who are. I mean, I want to get married and have kids, but I'm not in any serious relationship, so I'm not expecting it soon, although the idea of having a serious relationship and settling down is something I've come to desire more and more. I'm not worried though. God's timing is perfect.
So, that's a (very) abridged version of my life as a whole. Here's the rest.
I've Been Reading.
I love almost everything about college, but one thing that I hate is the fact that I never have time to read for fun. I'm a big time book nerd, so this has been a big deal for me, but I've been reading for fun just because I need to. Granted, instead of finishing a book in two days, it takes me about two weeks, but at least it's not a textbook or a ridiculous piece of literature that was only written to torture college students. So yeah.I'm not usually one to read two books at once - in fact, I actually hate it, but I've been doing it right now. The first book I'm reading is Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. I hate seeing movies if I know there was a book and I didn't read it. I can't see a movie and then read a book. I just can't. I have to have read it going in. All that to say, I have not seen the movie, but if the movie is anything like the book, I can't wait to see it. The book is hard to put down. If I didn't have to schedule my "fun" reading times (I know, freak again), I would've finished it weeks ago. One of the things I've enjoyed about this book is how unique the writing style is. Jonathan Safran Foer is also the author of Everything Is Illuminated, which is another really good book with his unique style. It reminds me somewhat of House of Leaves, another good book, but I don't know exactly what it is. Anyway, I recommend it if you want a book that isn't an easy read, but is impossible to not get wrapped up in.
The other book I'm reading is Stuff Christians Like by Jon Acuff. This is definitely a light read, and it's perfect to read when I get to class a little early because it's written as a series of mini-essays. It's also hilarious. Jon Acuff is a Christian author/comedian. Usually, I'm not that entertained by Christian comedians. I don't know what it is, but it's the same way I feel about every Christian rapper that isn't Lecrae. The thing that's so funny about this book is that everything he says is absolutely true. He takes the things that Christians do and points out how ridiculous it is sometimes. If you want a little preview, he keeps a blog by the same title. I would recommend this one to anyone who has ever been a part of a church. Although, fair warning, you'll never be able to hear the word "just" in a prayer without chuckling again.
I Have A Mentor.
What are you talking about, you ask? I have a mentor, which, in church language, means I have someone who is discipling me. It's been a long time since I've had that and so far, it's been so good. I remember being a senior in high school and telling myself and anyone I knew that the last school I would ever go to was OU. But, oh, how the tables turned. The only school I applied to was... OU. At the time, it made no sense, but now, I can't imagine myself being anywhere but OU. All of that is preface to say that if I wasn't at OU, I would never have gone to Paradigm (our Thursday night BSU service) and I never would have met Kim Burns. We just started meeting about two weeks ago, but we are going through 1,2, and 3 John together and meeting on Monday nights to discuss what we learned. I'm so thankful for her and for her leadership. If you know the two of us, you know that we laugh all the time, and we each feed off of the other's laughter. We really are ridiculous together. My apologies to anyone that has to hang out with us. But not really.Goodnight, Tree Hill
Don't pretend like this wasn't going to be on this at some point. In fact, you should be more surprised that I didn't write an entire blog about it. But, it needs to be done. Now, unless you have followed a show from start to finish, you can't truly understand what it's like. I started watching One Tree Hill when I was eleven years old, a fact unknown to my mother, who would have been furious had she known. On Wednesday night, One Tree Hill aired it's very last episode. It had a nine year run, which is remarkable for a TV show. From the beginning, One Tree Hill was known as "the little show that could," but as one of the actresses tweeted on the day of the finale, it became "the epic show that did." Not many shows can say they ran for nine seasons, and not many people can stay they stuck with a show that did last a long time. I'm saying all of this because when I started watching the show, I was in 5th grade and it ended now that I'm almost through with my first year of college. I've literally grown up with it, and so naturally, I'm attached to it. I feel like everyone needs that kind of show. I also feel like everyone needs to see how incredible One Tree Hill is (Netflix Instant Queue has it all!). I can honestly say that I always loved this show. Unlike a lot of shows that just kind of die out, this one stayed strong all the way through. Now, because I want people to watch it and because I know there might be people that read this and haven't caught up, I won't go into detail on the finale, but I will say this. Of all the series finale's that I've seen, this is by far the best one. The final scene (I promise this isn't a spoiler) goes a few years into the future to show where they all end up later in life. I love that. I don't have to worry about how things end up because they tell you. I was at peace with the end of it, and, as a whole, was an incredibly well-written, well-acted finale. As much as I'll miss it, I'm glad I can say that I honestly loved it through every season.All right, that's enough for this blog. If you've made it to this sentence, thank you. You rock. Check back Monday for a new (much shorter) blog! Also, have a happy Easter! Enjoy your time with friends and family and remember that this holiday is the most important of all. If Jesus hadn't risen, we would have nothing to celebrate. I'm so thankful for the cross and the sacrifice that I deserve, but more than that, I'm thankful for a risen and living Savior that took that cross and made that sacrifice when He was the only person that never needed to.
Goodnight!
Hannah
I just cried a little bit.
ReplyDelete