Friday, March 18, 2011

Waiting On The World To Change

I love John Mayer a whole lot. People know this. I've seen him in concert twice and he has never been short of incredible.

J. May in Dallas at the Staples Center

I was listening to one of his most popular songs today and I got to thinking. Can we really change to world? Should I really be waiting on the world to change? He makes some excellent points, but I just don't know if I can agree that we can change the world.

The problem with "waiting on the world to change" for the better is that it isn't going to happen. Well, at least it isn't going to at the rate we're going. The problem is not politics or war or poverty. It's a heart problem. We can vote in Christian politicians or make a universal peace treaty or volunteer to give a portion of our income to everybody in need, but that isn't going to fix anything unless everybody in the world gets their hearts right. And don't think I'm saying that if everyone lived like me we'd be perfect. Shoot, I'm just a corrupt as the next person. The thing is, there isn't one person on this earth that doesn't have a little corruption in their heart. It's called sin. And we all have it. Thank goodness there isn't a limit on forgiveness.

So what do we do about it? Sit back and watch the world fall apart before our very eyes? Absolutely not. We continue to do good works. We don't expect perfection. We continue to tell people about Jesus, because, let's face it, God is the ultimate cardiologist. We can do all we want, but nothing is gonna get fixed without full submission and repentance to Christ.

Think on that. Share your thoughts. Disagree with me. Elaborate on what I've said. I want to hear it all. I'm completely open to it and I'm not judgmental. In the meantime, here's a little Mayer to get you through the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment